Sunday, November 13, 2011

Freedom of expression for one Afghani girl

I have been thinking about starting a blog for some time but never had the time before with a full time job and running a home. Now that I am a stay at home mom (not by choice and not for long!!), I decided to give it a try once more.  A little about me, I am happily married to a great man(except during PMS moments when all men are evil), two great kids, aging parents and some crazy sisters living in suburbia of New Jersey! I dabbled in writing a blog a few years ago when I had started khala Jan but gave up when life took over.

What inspired me to start this blog  and how is it different from all the other mommy blogs out there? Well for one, I am a Pashtun Afghan who tries to balance a very modern American life within a very strict culture and beliefs. Secondly, I want to clear up any misconceptions about all Afghan woman and provide a glimpse of some of the issues we face.

Lastly I want to showcase that not every Afghan woman is living a loveless life of abuse. Let me stress that I will not deny, nor ignore that woman's rights are a large issue within our culture. I hope to inspire our Afghan community to start the change one home at a time. So once again, I welcome you to my life as I take you through my weekly adventures (and cooking mis-adventures).

Today I will provide my view on TLC new program on "All-American Muslim". As a Muslim, my first opinion is nicely done.  They touched on all the issues that we face:
  1. younger generation marrying a non Muslim
  2. cover up vs. not cover up
  3. insecurity woman feel when they try to break the norms
  4. our relationship with spouse (do they help out or not)
  5. the bullying some kids face when trying to fit in 
  6. old maid issues  
As a TV viewer looking for entertaining shows, I am not sure if I will follow them as I did "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" or any of the other reality shows that consumes my time.  But I will give it a chance and see if upcoming episodes will get juicy and moves away from teaching.  Muslims do not openly talk about their sex lives or show any intimate moments, therefore,  I am curious to see how TLC will keep viewers entertained. All I ask is that I hope future shows have better belly dancers!  Sadly I give this show a mix review and will return for a second viewing to see if it gets better. 



1 comment:

  1. May I have permission to use one of your photos: Kabul, women's garden, on my brand new blog.The best uk site afghan cooking

    ReplyDelete